Ours and Theirs: Tax and Land Laws
- "Law." The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture. http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2901 : 2012.
- Jones, William B. Jr. "Arkansas Courts Historical Background." Arkansas Supreme Court Historical Society. https://courts.arkansas.gov/historical%20society/background.cfm : 2012.
- Steele, J. and J. M'Campbell. Laws of Arkansas Territory, Compiled and Arranged by J. Steele and J. M'Campbell, Esq's., (Attorneys and Counsellors [sic] at Law;) Under the Direction and Superintendance [sic] of John Pope Esq, Governor of the Territory of Arkansas. Little Rock, Ark. Terr.: J. Steele, 1835. Google Books. http://books.google.com/ : 2012.
- Thomas, David Yancey. "History of Taxation in Arkansas." Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association. Fayetteville, Ark.: 1908, 43-90. Google Books. http://books.google.com/ : 2012.
- Adams, Charles. For Good and Evil: The Impact of Taxes on the Course of Civilization. Lanham, Md.: Madison Books, 1999.
- Adams, Charles. Those Dirty Rotten Taxes: The Tax Revolts That Built America. New York: The Free Press, 1998.
- Darrow, Carol Cooke and Susan Winchester. The Genealogist's Guide to Researching Tax Records. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2007.
- Jensen, Jens Peter. Property Taxation in the United States. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1931.
- Peters, Joan W. The Tax Man Cometh: Land and Property in Colonial Fauquier County, Virginia; Tax Lists from the Fauquier County Court Clerk's Loose Papers: 1759-1782. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2008.
- Rabushka, Alvin. Taxation in Colonial America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2008.
- Salmon, Marylynn. Women and the Law of Property in Early America. Chapel Hill: Univ. of North Carolina Press, 1986.
- Shammas, Carole, Marylynn Salmon and Michel Dahlin. Inheritance in America: From Colonial Times to the Present. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers Univ. Press, 1987.
- Stuntz, Jean A. Hers, His, & Theirs: Community Property Laws in Spain & Early Texas. Lubbock: Texas Tech. Univ. Press, 2005.
The boilerplate text shown in form books can be useful when trying to decipher difficult to read words in a document. Check electronic book sites for out-of-copyright versions of form books. These older books will be of the most value to a genealogist or historian.
- McCollum, Andrew J. The New Arkansas Form Book: Forms for Pleadings and Practice in the State of Arkansas, with Notes. Hugh Stephens Printing, 1908. Google Books ( http://books.google.com/ : 2012.
- Stayton, John William. Arkansas Form Book: Civil, Probate, Business and General Forms, with Notes. Vernon Law Book Co., 1917.
- Moffett, J. W. (Jonas William). Texas Civil Form Book, with Forms of Pleadings, Removal of Causes from State to Federal Courts, The Forms and Law of Bankruptcy of 1898 and Amendments Approved February 5, 1903, and Court Rules of Texas. El Paso, Tex. : Gammel Publishing Co., 1907; online archive, Internet Archive. http://www.archive.org/details/texascivilformbo00moffiala : 2011.
CG, Certified Genealogist, CGL, and Certified Genealogical Lecturer are service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®, used under license by board certificants after periodic evaluation.
Wayne Research — PO Box 397 — Cushing, TX 75760-0397
© 2005–2014, Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL, All Rights Reserved